To all RAVENS, all IMU students who bear grudges against the Sem5s and also all the Sem5s reading this now, don't stop, pls proceed.
I can’t stand it any longer.
I thought I could try to mend things. I thought I could just apologise to some Sem5s and make myself feel better and wash my hands clean of the whole animosity going on and side no one. It was a selfish thought. I was seriously wrong. Stephen's reply showed me the gravity of the whole situation.
SMS from me to Stephen sem5:
Hi, Aiky here. I’m sincerely sorry bout what happened on Fri. Every1’s hurting each other and I can't bear to c it go on. My batch reacted rashly tt night coz we were hurt by how we were treated on Thurs. But I’m sure d Sem5s feel even more hurt now. It’s a vicious cycle tt never ends. But it must. I’m sorry for the way things turn out. If any o my frens hav hurt u all in any way, I apologise. Pls tell the rest of Sem5 Cheerleaders. I salute u all as winners.
Stephen's reply: (exact words)
anger, wrath, rage, grossly understate my feelings.Incomprehensible.We were wronged 4 being fair n just in cheerleading.Booed n jeered in a way unbecoming of sportsmen, not by juniors, but by de 1st next in seniority rank order. I haf no longing 4 ur batch's recognition of our victory. Dere is no value in that, 4 my victory is sweet n complete as it is. My conscience is clear. All u sore losers can whine away 4 we r champions in de eyes of justice.
The only thing that stopped me fr bursting into tears was my dad and grandma sitting in front of me.
Everyone's angry, everyone's hurt, everyone only sees their side of the story, no one bothers to comprehend the full picture. Yes, we were wrong to boo the Sem5s, we were wrong to leave, we were wrong to show our contempt towards the cheerleaders. The way we handled the situation was immature. But to all Sem5s reading this, can you safely say that if you were in our shoes, you won't have done the same if you knew our side of the story? The times when we were shouted at by Sem5s, the times when we were insulted, the times when we were mistreated...
And to the non-sem5s reading this, don't feel pleased with yourself yet. We acted as barbarians that night. Our actions couldn't have been more abominable. It's up to the judges to decide, so keep your personal opinions of who should win to yourselves. Everyone trained hard and did his best. At the end of the day, is winning and losing really all that matters? What did all the sem5 cheerleaders do to deserve all that boo-ing? You might be thinking 'the Sem5s abused their power as organisers, they manipulated the whole Cup, they insulted us again and again'. Once again, I ask, do we know the Sem5 side of the story? Do we know every single detail of what went on and the reasons why they acted the way they did? You most probably would have acted the same. And is it fair, i ask, to lash our anger out at all the Sem5s when we bear grudges with maybe only a few of them. Go sort your anger between you and that few people then, why haul everyone into your matter? Yes, I won't deny that there're some Sem5s whose actions were atrocious, but who am I / who are you to judge? Do we not all have shortcomings? Have we not acted in detestable manners even for once throughout our whole life?
After all that has happened, there is nothing left for us to do. Go around and say sorry to everyone when deep inside you're still hurting? Even if people come up to you and said sorry, would you have the grace to forgive?
I'm not trying to be self-righteous, I'm not trying to mend the situation anymore, I'm not trying to re-construct unity among batches. I just want my IMU life to go on peacefully. I can't take the tension anymore.
2nd msg fr stephen shortly after the 1st stated above: (exact words)
de previous msg ws my sentiments up 2 a while ago. however, i ws wrong. i cant call myself a christian like dat. it would b tantamount 2 not recognising god's authority in my life. i haf allowed de enemy 2 capitalise. truth is, i value ur msg dearly n nvr again will i say dose abrasive things. i accept ur apology, on behalf of urself n ur batch. n in turn, tender my own apology 4 behaving the way i did. lets work towards reconciliation. god bless.
All this apologising and then forgiving, does it really help? After you forgive, can you forget? To say I am relieved by Stephen's heart of forgiveness would be a lie. The recollections of this whole issue bears down on me like a weight that can never be lifted. It's so hard to be a Christian and believe God will interfere in matters like this when you just can't see the light. So what if Stephen and me can forgive each other, there're still so many people hurting each other around me. I'm tired of it all. I wish I could wash my hands clean but I know when everyone returns to uni tomorrow, it's gonna be a whole new vicious cycle of slandering, insulting, and hurting.
Sunday, October 17, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment