If I do become a consultant, I pledge to be one who will be willing to teach students, and not treat them as mere objects standing in the way.
Met some of the most wonderful surgeons in Urology this week who have managed to convince me that not all surgeons are emotion-less people. (ok maybe that's my fault that I've formed a prejudice against all surgeons) Was attached to the Uro theatres, and after scrubbing up and assissting in one of the ops, the surgeon actually came over and said Thanks for helping! WOW!
Ok...maybe some of you guys are thinking, what's so great about that? And guess...yea...I'm am dramatising it a bit. But still...you really don't get many consultant overtly expressing their appreciation to medic students. And what's more, from the very start of the first operation, he was patiently explaining all the steps of the ops, throwing in a bit of Urology history here and there, offering us soup during the break...oh and the ultimate, when I lost my most treasured G1 pen (you can't get it here in Scotland) in the theatres, he actually helped me look for it and followed me to the coffee room to find it. Heh...he's another one of those old doctors I don't mind having as my grandfather.
Friday, May 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment