Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The things you overhear people say...

Was in one of the bus stops in NUS when i overheard this conversation between 2 girls behind me:

Girl A: Eh, this girl looks like Goh Aik Ying.

Girl B: Huh? Who's she?

Girl A: Oh, she's 2 batches my senior in sec sch. Used to be ketua pengawas last time. Then when she graduated, she cut her hair real short and dyed it red. And had lots of ear piercings.

Girl B: Huh? Ketua pengawas can do that one mer??

Girl A: That time she doing A Levels already what...

Hmmm...at first when I heard my name, thought I must have heard wrongly. Or maybe I was hallucinating, considering the fact that I'm taking anti-malarial pills that can give psychotic-like effects (but let's leave this malaria business out of the picture first). So maybe the 2 girls were really just fragments of my own imagination.

But no. I turned around and really saw these 2 girls. And I haven't a clue who they are. Now out of the thousands of bus stops (ok maybe just hundreds considering the size of Singapore) in S'pore, what are the chances of meeting these 2 girls??

So at that moment, I was left with 2 options:
1. go up to them and say sheepishly: Er, yea actually, I am indeed yours truly.

or

2. adopt a new identity and try to be as un-Goh Aik Ying as possible.

And in that afternoon heat, having just came out of a grilling orthopaedic lecture, I decided to take the second option. And my dad still dare say that he didn't recognise me when I walked out of the airport.

Anyways, on hind sight, maybe I shouhld really have approached them and identified myself. And then tell Girl A: actually, it was maroon, not red. Hmmm, never knew I was that famous and people actually still remember how I look like.

But moral of story is:
# 1. don't talk too loud in public places.
# 2. if someone looks like someone, there is really quite a high chance that that someone really is that someone.


(and just a note for pa and mum if you guys do read this entry: I've allowed all my ear piercings to close up except the 2 proper, earlobe ones *sheepish grin* I've grown up.)


On a different note, want to share this:

"...If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

Was struck by how Jesus was commanding His disciples to have to take up one's own cross.
Thought Jesus had done it all on that one cross 2 milleniums ago?? But guess what Jesus was trying to say here has a totally different meaning.

Our choices are our own to be made - the good, the bad, and
the in-between that can tilt either way. Really up to us, isn't it, to make that decision to conscioucly rid ourselves of the sin that Jesus has set us free from. Mmm and I must say, I can be quite inclined to choosing the not-so-right. Oh, and notice the word DAILY. It simply means what it means. Every new day brings new decisions. It doesn't mean that if yesterday you made a stand for God in certain areas, today you'll still think the same.

Right. Should really be sleeping.

No comments: